Saturday, March 8, 2008

BRIO Girl 2005 TOP 20 Finalist



I entered this competition way back when I was still a young teen girl, aged 15. This was my first attempt at trying any kind of writing. Here is the articles I sent to them. I was chosen out of 940 girls from all over the world, to be part of the TOP 20 group. I can still remember how incredible I felt, like I had won the Pulitzer Prize or even an Oscar. This was big news for me. Really big news. I couldn't stop singing "I Feel Pretty" from the movie "West Side Story". I was literally jumping up and down, so uncontainable was my heart! Good memories.

OK, the basics I needed to do for this major competition:
1.Fill out entry form
2.Answer these 2 following questions in essay form, with no more than 300 words each. Write as if you're speaking directly to your audience:
Question 1: If you were addressing a group of teen girls, what would you talk about and why?
Question 2: Share when and how you became a Christian, and include ways you’ve seen God work in your life in the past year.
3.Include a recent head-and-shoulders photograph
4.A school transcript that indicates your current-year GPA
5.A written recommendation from your pastor, youth leader or Sunday school teacher.

If you would like to read this package, send me an email at fourie_vicki@hotmail.com with ‘truth magazine article’ in the subject line. I will send it to you then.

Vicki

4 comments:

Brady Frost said...

Be careful Vicki! Never allow yourself to start writing for someone else, you must always write for yourself. Trust me on this one, praise is a wonderful thing but it can also be a sneaky enemy. Just smile and know that someone is proud of you but don't allow yourself to go down that road.
You are doing great, keep writing like you have been, write for the love of writing.
I know you'll do great!

natalia.b said...

oh wow Vicki, that was certainly a beautiful encounter! It's a heartwarming story too. Good luck with your book. =)

natalia
www.blinksoflife.blogspot.com

Vicki Fourie said...

Thank you Brady, for the sound advice. I will try to guard my heart against pride and and self-love! ;-)

On a more serious note, what you're saying is actually true. I grew up in home that believes you should do the things YOU want to do, and not because of another's expectations.

The reason why this conversation was so meaningful to me is because everyone (that is, my friends, work-related friends, family, etc.) are very nonchalant (did I spell right???) about my writings. They read it, and simply say, "It's good. I like it."

That can discourage me. I want people to critizice my work, break it and eventually let me know what they think of it. I want to develop thick skin!!!

Oh well. Never mind. Bottom line: write because you want to, not because of others. That's it.

Vicki

Vicki Fourie said...

Natalie, thank you so much for visiting constantly!

Thanks for the luck for the book that I'm writing.

Vicki