Thursday, July 8, 2010

Sure/Etnique Travel July 2010 Newsletter 'Etcetera': Together We Can Do So Much More




Sure/Etnique Travel is one of my most important sponsorships - they sponsored me with 2 flight tickets to Las Vegas to participate in the Miss Deaf International 2010, as well as the extended stay at the host hotel, Bally's.

Sure/Etnique Travel just sent out their monthly newsletter, and the following was included:

PROUD OF OUR LOCAL EXPORT WINNER!
JOHANN BEUKES


Most of us have a certain preconceived perception of talent competitions. It was by pure coincidence that my road crossed that of Vicki Fourie, a young girl from Bloemfontein, with 97% profound hearing loss. As Miss Deaf South Africa, it was her dream to participate in the Miss Deaf International 2010 competition in Las Vegas USA.

I met her end of 2009 and experienced her positive energy and motivation to serve other disabled people as a young enthusiastic ambassador, and it was then we decided as the SURE GROUP to invest in her bright personality and thus sponsor her and her mom’s travel and accommodation arrangements for the trip.

Vicki showed the world the value of confronting her handicaps and turn them into gains; to be a real role model and inspiring example to other young people. Her motivational presentations at many schools are testimony of her influence on young people and what an inspiration for each of us.

Vicki, we believe that all South Africans proudly support you as our young, brave and inspiring ambassador in Las Vegas!

TOGETHER WE CAN DO SO MUCH MORE
VICKI FOURIE


When I was 2 years old, my parents found out that I had 97% profound hearing loss. Even though they were extremely shocked and disappointed, they decided not to give up on me. Instead of looking at how big the problem was, they said, “How big is our God...?”

Every day was a challenge for me – because I couldn’t play outside with my friends – and for my parents, because I would throw constant tantrums. I was just like any other little girl - I couldn’t understand why I had to make the extra effort to learn how to speak and read lips. One day I sat on the couch in the living room. “I don’t want to!” I shouted. My mom, always the patient teacher, said, “I know you can...”

The next step in my life was going to school. Once again, my mom said to me, “I know you can.” I was on my way into the hearing world – a school for hearing students. My parents knew that I was now on my own. That world turned out to be world full of misunderstandings, kids who can be mean, teachers who didn’t always understand me, and times where I would constantly feel alone and left out. But I remembered what my mom had taught me. And I started to say it to myself: “I know I can, I know I can.”

There were only a handful of people who believed in me from the start. But I believed in myself. And later on, others also started to believe in me.
There are certain people who have crossed my path in a phenomenal way after I was crowned Miss Deaf South Africa in September 2009. If it wasn’t for those people, I would never have been able to move forward in life. Johann Beukes is one of them. Our paths crossed for a reason – nothing happens accidentally.

Helen Keller, a famous erstwhile blind & deaf person, once said, “Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.” The same accounts for Sure Travel. With the World Cup Soccer 2010 on its way, I realised that it would be impossible for me to buy two tickets to Las Vegas so that I can participate in the Miss Deaf International 2010. However, this dream has been made a reality. When I step on the plane the 11th of July, I will hold my head up high, confident that Sure Travel and the whole of South Africa is standing behind me 100% to bring the crown back home...

I always knew that I can do anything that I put my mind on, but with Sure Travel I now know: Together we can do so much more!

– Vicki Fourie, Miss Deaf South Africa 2009/2010


Vicki

No comments: