Wednesday, January 26, 2011

All4Women.Co.Za: 'Miss Deaf SA takes on the world in Vegas'


All4Women.co.za posted an article on where I participated in the Miss Deaf International in 2010. It's a great article!

To read it, copy and paste the following link in your search bar:

http://all4women.co.za/inspirational/miss-deaf-sa-miss-world.html?Headline

Here's an excerpt of the article:

Vicki Fourie was crowned Miss Deaf South Africa (2009/2010) and recently competed in the Miss Deaf International 2010 in Las Vegas...

Vicki Fourie was crowned Miss Deaf South Africa (2009/2010) and recently competed in the Miss Deaf International 2010 in Las Vegas: she shares her experience with us…


The first ever Miss Deaf International 2010 took place in the desert – Las Vegas!

It’s also the hottest place I’ve ever been to. Not even Botswana, Namibia or Nigeria came close to this kind of intense heat. My feet were swollen right throughout the whole adventure, and all my high heels felt too small for me.

Over 30 girls from different countries participated, and most of them didn’t understand English. My roommate was from Panama, and in the beginning I couldn’t quite figure out why she was speaking so unclearly (I read lips – most of them use sign language, but the girl from Panama had a good voice).

Later I realized that she was speaking Spanish – she couldn’t speak a word of English! It was quite a challenge for both of us...


Special thanks to Sasha Wyatt-Minter for editing and posting the article.

Vicki

No comments: