Friday, March 4, 2011

Modelfy.com Feature: Vicki Fourie


Head over to Modelfy.com - there's a feature on me, plus an interesting Q & A's!

Here's the link: http://www.modelfy.com/blog/featured-articles/vicki-fourie-featured.html

An excerpt from the interview:

What are your goals? How do you see yourself progress in this field?

The beauty pageant world came onto me unexpectedly. When I was in matric, I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. There was 3 or 4 people who said that I was going to be like Esther of the Bible – I was going to use my beauty to save a nation. At first, I didn’t quite understand (I thought I needed to marry a prince, and South Africa does not have royalty!).

Soon opportunities started popping up in newspapers, magazines, advertisments, etsc. I heard about the Miss Deaf South Africa, and realized that Esther also partook in a pageant: the Miss Persia pageant. I took this as a sure sign that I must enter.

In 2008 I participated for the first time. I didn’t win, but was crowned 1st Princess & Miss Personality.
In 2009 I participated again, and I was crowned Miss Deaf SA 2009/2010 and Miss Deaf HESC (the official sponsor of the pageant).

In July 2010, I participated in the Miss Deaf International in Las Vegas, and I was crownd 2nd Princess.

In 2011, I will participate in the Miss Deaf World, which will take place in Prague from the 1st till 11th of July 2011.

Modelling is something that came as an afterthought. It’s fun, and you get to meet interesting people and discover new places. One of my aspirations is to become like Coco Rocha – she’s a Canadian supermodel who also loves writing (vist her blog: http://oh-so-coco.tumblr.com/). She’s such a healthy and strong example of what it means to be a positive role model to girls all over the globe. If I could be a fraction of who she is and what she achieved, then I would be extremely grateful.

Do you have a favorite quote?

“Courage isn’t a gift, it’s a decision.”

Did you go to school for your profession?

No, I just learnt as I went along. The best school is the school of experience!

How do you communicate with people? Are you patient? Are you friendly?
People are surprised when they find out that I don’t use sign language as means of communication. From an early age I learnt to read lips and speak like a hearing person. In fact, the natives in my country think I come from Germany or Russia…!

How do people experience me? I’m creative, therefore I know that I need to think outside of the box when I work with fashion designers, advertisers & photographers.

What are you likes and dislikes in the industry?

It’s sad to see that in the modelling industry, girls tend to starve themselves to be ‘perfect’. They also lack self esteem and confidence. I want to go out there and make a difference – I want to be the change that needs to be seen in this world.

What I like about the industry… It’s such a satisfying feel to see yourself in a newspaper, on the cover of a magazine or your face spread out in a bulletin advertisement. You get butterflies in your stomach – it’s a nice feeling...


Vicki

No comments: