Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lilies Among Thorns: Interview With Vicki Fourie

Lilies Among Thorns conducted an email interview with me a while ago. It's been posted online.

Here's the link:

http://liliesamongthornsmagazine.blogspot.com/2011/09/interview-with-vicki-fouri.html

Here's an excerpt on the story:

Vicki came to me one day, via email, and asked if we wanted to interview her on LAT! After reading her blog and speaking with her, I could not say no! Vicki has an amazing story to share with you and I hope you get as much out of it as I did!

Much Love,

Haylie Gregory, Editor


1) Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I’m a true South African gal who lives in Bloemfontein (it’s in the middle of South Africa), and I turned 22 earlier this year.

We don’t know exactly what caused my hearing damage... When I was a baby, I had a high fever (just like Helen Keller & Marlee Matlin) and we think that’s what caused my hearing loss. I personally don’t believe that I was born deaf.

When I was 2 years old, I didn’t respond when my family called my name, and after extensive tests at the hospital, it was confirmed that I have 97% hearing loss. This came as a big shock for the family, especially my parents.

However, my parents didn’t give up on me after receiving the news. I’m grateful that they reacted this way, for it enabled me to learn how to speak like a hearing person and read lips. I even went to a hearing English school, despite Afrikaans being my home language.

There was many obstacles along the way, but I overcame them by believing that ‘Courage isn’t a gift, it’s a decision...’


Enjoy reading the rest of the interview on Lilies Among Thorns' blog!

Vicki

No comments: